Sector Leader- Agriculture
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
Are you interested in joining an organisation with a long term commitment to fighting poverty? Would you like to work in a challenging environment and develop an international career focused on demonstrating shared core values that achieve results?
SNV Rwanda is looking for a:
Sector Leader - Agriculture
Duty station: Kigali, Rwanda
SNV is an international not-for-profit development organisation working in over 30 developing countries for more than 40 years. SNV has been working in Rwanda since 1980 and is active in all of SNV’s three sectors (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Renewable Energy and Agriculture).
In Rwanda, agriculture is the dominant economic activity and remains the main source of employment for about 80% of the population and accounts for about 45% of exports. As such it is a key entry point for increasing growth and reducing poverty. Commercialisation and use of technology are seen as key strategies to further develop the sector, while the Government of Rwanda considers cooperative development as a key component of the sector development.
In the Agriculture sector, SNV focuses on Value Chain Development in the three sub-sectors of Coffee, Dairy and Beekeeping. We build on existing knowledge; experience and our track record in value chain development to stimulate pro-poor growth, unlock resources and create wealth in an inclusive way whilst ensuring good governance practices.
SNV Rwanda is looking for a highly qualified and experienced candidate responsible for steering national sector development and quality of the practice in line global sector choices, cross cutting themes and in consultation with the country Director and Managing Director of the sector, in order to improve sector performance and contribute to the overall performance of SNV in Rwanda
• Provide strategic direction to the sector in terms of content and leadership to optimize development results and resource mobilisation;
• Conceptual development of the sector programmes, including identifying and defining programme interventions and opportunities in the agriculture subsectors, lead on innovations and craft this to practice;
• Steer implementation of projects/programmes within assigned budgets, lead complex assignments to deliver meaningful and effective advisory services especially in private sector development;
• Provide guidance and steer on Managing for Results policy, applying credible M & E indicators and ensure results;
• Management and development of human resources within the sector team, this includes evaluating performance; mentoring and coaching;
• Build relations with relevant stakeholders including donors, local organisations and knowledge institutions with the objective of profiling SNV and securing additional funding for our interventions and the sector.
• Setting up of efficient system for business development and identify opportunities to mobilize financial resources in collaboration with the other sector teams in the country;
• Actively draw lessons from managing the programmes for improving SNV’s service delivery and participate in knowledge development expertise groups/ networks so as to enhance knowledge development and sharing on innovative delivery models with the team;
• Promote a ‘Governance for Empowerment’ (GfE) approach and pro-actively develop modalities to increase the opportunities for women to be actively involved in market activities as well as to increase their participation in decision making processes within the selected value chains.
• Education: Master’s Degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness, business administration, international trade or any Agriculture related discipline.
• Minimum 8 years professional work experience, including international experience in agricultural value chain development preferably in Africa;
• Strong (cutting edge) knowledge of agricultural sub-sector/value chain analysis ;
• Experience in leading, managing and coaching a team of advisors;
• Experienced networking and relationship manager, especially with donors;
• Proven track record in business development, proposal writing and mobilizing of resources;
• Demonstrated project management skills;
• Experience in organizing/executing baseline studies, business & investment plans, and risk analysis and measurement impact frameworks;
• Experience in writing practice-based knowledge documents
• Knowledge of gender concepts and promotion of women entrepreneurship
• Proficient in English. Working knowledge of French is an advantage
Description of duty station: Kigali
Medical facilities: Good, there are a number of private clinics in Kigali
Educational facilities: There is a Belgium primary and secondary school as well as an American primary and secondary schools
Security situation: Good
Accessibility: Good. 1 hour flight from Nairobi and there are several daily international flights to and from Kigali
Communication: Very good
Contract period: 2 years
Desired start date: April 2013