Senior Advisor Agriculture (Surkhet, NEPAL)
SNV Netherlands Development Organization
SNV Nepal is looking for a:
Senior Advisor (level III) Agriculture
Based in Surkhet, Nepal
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is a leading international organisation that specialises in capacity development support to government, non-government and private sector organisations. SNV aims to achieve impact by providing advisory services, facilitating knowledge development, networking, strengthening local capacity builders, and carrying out advocacy at national and international levels.
SNV is committed to reduction of poverty that is consistent with nationally defined poverty reduction strategies and the global MDG agenda. In Asia, SNV is active in Nepal, Bhutan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Bangladesh, Indonesia and Pakistan and provides advisory services in Agriculture, as well as in Water, Sanitation & Hygiene and Renewable Energy sectors.
SNV’s work in the agricultural sector is based on a three-pronged approach: enhanced positioning of (smallholder) farmers within value chains, promotion of climate friendly agriculture and facilitating increased access to food. Concretely we: a) Offer context-specific support to local small and medium farmers and processors to increase their productivity, improve quality, develop innovative products and link them to (inter)national markets and value chains; b) Promote and enhance fair trade, leading to increased profitability of the agriculture sector for poor farmers and processors; c) Collaborate with others to promote equity for women farmers/processors, increase food security and improve environmentally sustainable agricultural practices.
Within above context, SNV Nepal is providing technical assistance to two externally funded projects, namely a) High Value Agriculture Project (HVAP) funded by IFAD and b) Raising Income for Small and Medium Farmers Project (RISMFP), funded by ADB. Both projects are executed by the Ministry of Agriculture Development (MoAD), covering 20 districts in the Far and Mid-Western Development Regions of Nepal.
The position has an emphasis on the implementation of HVAP with a goal to reduce poverty and vulnerability of women and men in hills and mountain areas of the Mid-Western Development Region. The purpose of the project is the “rural poor especially women and marginalised groups, are integrated in high value agriculture and NTFP/medicinal and aromatic plant value chains and markets, and have improved income, employment opportunities and ability to respond to market demand and opportunities based on marketing agreements with private agribusiness”.
The Senior Advisor/Leader of the SNV Advisory Team will be a member of the Project Management Unit (PMU) for the High Value Agriculture Project in Hill and Mountain Areas (HVAP), which is implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture Development and in which SNV and the Agro Enterprise Centre (AEC) are partners. S/he will be a senior member of the project management team and will provide technical and managerial support and advice to the Project Manager. S/he will lead the team of six SNV advisors which provides services on value chain development, inclusive business, institutional development & organisational strengthening, producer organisations, gender & social inclusion and knowledge & communication. The project has a total value of US$ 18.9 million and comprises three components: 1) Pro Poor Value Chain Development; 2) Inclusion and Support for Value Chain Initiatives; 3) Project Management.
- Leading the SNV team and representing SNV in the PMU. This includes coaching, guiding and supporting the SNV team to ensure effective implementation of the interventions and quality check;
- Leading implementation of activities under Component 1, including sub-contracted work and ensuring effective annual planning and its timely implementation;
- Helping to facilitate coordination within the PMU and with the Project Consultative and Coordination Group and Project Steering Committee; coordination of activities under Component 1 with those being implemented under Component 2;
- Coordination among team members, ensuring achievement of targets as set in the value chain business plans developed under Component 1;
- Ensuring Component 1 is implemented as per the guidelines and policies of the HVAP document;
- Ensuring gender and social inclusion targets are met and that target groups are benefiting fully from the project;
- Maintain network with the PMU, MOAD, AEC, Local Capacity Builders, Private Sector Organizations, IFAD and other relevant stakeholders;
- Reporting project results to SNV management, MoAD, IFAD and other relevant stakeholders;
- Ensuring an effective working relationship with AEC, including responsibility for the capacity building process of AEC and achieving targets as set in its capacity building plans;
- Identification of policy needs and advocacy for policy intervention;
- Ensuring the development and effective implementation of a knowledge and communication strategy, and compliance with SNV’s Managing for Results (MfR) framework;
- Promoting regular sharing of knowledge and experiences across the Agriculture programs and sectors in SNV, and contributes in partnership development, networking and resource mobilisation for SNV’s agriculture and forest products.
- Ten years of experience working with agribusiness sector development. Seven years of experience in managing large and complex development projects with private sector involvement;
- Sound experience with knowledge development and networking and resource mobilisation;
- Skilled in staff and budget management, planning, monitoring and evaluation (PME) and external communication;
- Experience in working in complex instable political and economic contexts;
- Good analytical and report writing skills are required;
- Master degree, or higher, in business administration, agro-economics or agribusiness;
- Excellent spoken and written English. Ability to work in Nepali language would be an advantage.
Contract duration: 2 years with the possibility of extension.
Desired start date: ASAP
Information on duty station
Medical facilities: Smaller medical facilities available for minor illness. Proper medical facilites (international standard) only in Kathmandu
Educational facilities: No international schools
Security situation: Normal
Accessibility: 12 hours drive from Kathmandu. Flights to Nepalgunj from Kathmandu 1 hour then 3 hours drive to Surkhet
More information about SNV
SNV is a non-profit international development organisation established in the Netherlands in 1965. For over 40 years, SNV has been at the forefront of development, helping to build local capacity and empower local families and communities to break the cycle of poverty. We are present on the ground in 36 developing countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Balkans and operate in Agriculture, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Our 900 advisors in the field come from a variety of cultural and technical backgrounds, and over 60 per cent are nationals of the countries where we work.
For more information, please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.